News

2 Americans injured in attack in western Afghanistan

2 Americans injured in attack in western Afghanistan

AFGHANISTAN:President Barack Obama, center, gets a briefing by Marine General Joseph Dunford, commander of the US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), right, and US Ambassador to Afghanistan James Cunningham after arriving at Bagram Air Field for an unannounced visit, on Sunday, May 25, north of Kabul, Afghanistan. Photo: Associated Press/Evan Vucci

HERAT Afghanistan (Reuters) – Two Americans suffered light injuries when a U.S. consulate vehicle came under attack in Afghanistan’s western province of Herat on Wednesday morning, the U.S. embassy said.

The embassy statement gave scant details of the attack but an Afghan official in Herat said a rocket-propelled grenade had been fired at the vehicle.

“Two men attacked a foreign vehicle with a RPG and then ran away,” provincial district chief Haji Bashir Ahmad told Reuters by telephone. The U.S. embassy statement said both of the injured were taken for treatment at a Spanish-run hospital in Herat.

Hours earlier, President Barack Obama announced plans to reduce the number of American troops in Afghanistan from 32,000 to 9,800 by the beginning of next year, and gradually reduce the force to a smaller embassy presence by the end of 2016.

Last Friday, Afghan security forces in Herat killed at least three gunmen and suicide bombers following an attack on the Indian consulate in Afghanistan’s third largest city and main gateway to Iran.

(Reporting by Jalil Ahmad, Hamid Shalizi and Jessica Donati; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

Recent Headlines

in Sports

This week’s top sports shots

little

A look at the biggest stories and best photography in sports this week.

in Sports

This weekend’s sports schedule

yankees

A complete look at this weekend's sports schedule.

in National

Making headlines this week

surf

A look at the week's biggest newsmakers and the stories you won't soon forget.

in National

WATCH: The history of Labor Day

21-overlay4

While you take your three day weekend, remember those who struggled to get Friday and Saturday off.

in Sports

Tony Stewart returns to NASCAR racing after fatal accident

Tony Stewart smiles as he speaks with his crew before the start of the rain delayed NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Daytona 500 race at the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida, February 27, 2012.

Tony Stewart will return to racing this weekend at the Atlanta Motor Speedway for the first time since he struck and killed a young racer at a dirt track earlier this month.