News

49ers’ Kaepernick cleared in Miami sex assault case

49ers’ Kaepernick cleared in Miami sex assault case

CLEARED OF CHARGES:No charges were filed after the woman awoke in a Miami area hospital with no memory of the night, according to a police report. Photo: Associated Press

MIAMI (Reuters) – Miami police have closed an investigation into a hotel incident involving San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and a woman who told police that she might have been sexually assaulted after drinks with several football players.

“There is no evidence to indicate that she was the victim of any crime,” according to a City of Miami police memo obtained by Reuters.

No charges were filed after the woman awoke in a Miami area hospital with no memory of the night, according to a police report. Kaepernick denied any wrongdoing at the time, as did the two other players named in the police report, Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette and 49ers wide receiver Quinton Patton.

A physical examination of the woman at a rape treatment center turned out negative, according to the police memo stating that the case was officially closed on Tuesday.

Kaepernick signed a six-year, $126 million contract extension with the 49ers earlier this month.

(Reporting by Zachary Fagenson; Writing by David Adams; Editing by Eric Beech)

Recent Headlines

in Sports

More schools are mixing beer, football at stadiums

SMU

A growing number of schools are bringing the party inside, opening taps in concourses that traditionally have been alcohol-free zones.

in Sports

Mo’ne Davis, team out of Little League World Series

littleleague

Star pitcher Mo'ne Davis and her team are out of the running.

in Sports

Friday’s Sports Minute

nationals

Here is a look at the sports news making headlines today, Friday, Aug. 22.

in Sports

U.S. keeper Howard to take year off from international duty

howard

U.S national team goalkeeper Tim Howard says he will take a year off from international duty in order to spend more time with his family.

in National

Watchdog finds Pentagon broke law in Bergdahl transfer

This undated image provided by the U.S. Army shows Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. U.S. officials say the only American soldier held prisoner in Afghanistan has been freed and is in U.S. custody. The officials say Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's (boh BURG'-dahl) release was part of a negotiation that includes the release of five Afghan detainees held in the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The Defense Department violated U.S. law by failing to alert Congress before releasing five Taliban members in exchange for a captured U.S. soldier.