News

Bills’ Alonso has torn ACL, likely out for ’14 season

Bills’ Alonso has torn ACL, likely out for ’14 season

TORN ACL:Buffalo Bills middle linebacker Kiko Alonso (50) and free safety Jim Leonhard (35) try to tackle Miami Dolphins wide receiver Rishard Matthews (18) during the second half at Ralph Wilson Stadium on Dec. 22. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – The Buffalo Bills suffered an early setback to their 2014 season in announcing on Wednesday that talented young linebacker Kiko Alonso will likely miss the upcoming NFL campaign due to a knee injury.

Alonso, who underwent hip surgery this off season, tore the knee ligament while working out in Oregon, according to the National Football League team.

“(Alonso) suffered a torn ACL in his left knee and will most likely miss the 2014 season,” Bills General Manager Doug Whaley said in a statement.

“He will be scheduled for surgery in the near future and begin a rehabilitation program at the appropriate time.”

A second-round draft pick in 2013 out of the University of Oregon, Alonso was an NFL defensive rookie of the year contender last season after leading Buffalo with 159 tackles, two fumble recoveries and tied for the team lead with four interceptions.

Buffalo, who have not made the playoffs since 1999, finished last in the AFC East last season with a 6-10 record.

They Bills open their regular season on Sept. 7 at Chicago.

(Reporting by Larry Fine in New York; Editing by Frank Pingue)

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Sports

Thursday’s Sports Minute

grizzlies

Here's a look at some of the big sports stories making headlines today, Thursday, Dec. 18.

in Sports

Ray Rice investigation heating up

Former Baltimore Ravens NFL running back Ray Rice and his wife Janay arrive for a hearing at a New York City office building November 5, 2014.

Hundreds of NFL employees gave records to investigators looking into how Commissioner Roger Goodell handled evidence in the Ray Rice case.

in Sports

49ers release McDonald amid sex assault investigation

raymcdonald

San Francisco released defensive tackle Ray McDonald after he was named a suspect in a sexual assault case.