News

Ex-New Orleans Mayor Nagin gets 10 years

Ex-New Orleans Mayor Nagin gets 10 years

RAY NAGIN:The former New Orleans mayor was sentenced to 10 years in prison on Wednesday, July 9. Photo: Associated Press

By Kathy Finn

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) – Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin was sentenced on Wednesday to 10 years in federal prison on corruption charges that arose in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

A jury in February found Nagin guilty of charges including bribery, wire fraud, conspiracy, money laundering and tax evasion.

Nagin stirred national controversy with his erratic behavior after Katrina breached floodwalls and inundated New Orleans in 2005, killing at least 1,500 people and leaving tens of thousands homeless.

Citing Nagin’s devotion to his family and commitment to helping New Orleans, U.S. District Judge Helen Ginger Berrigan said a shorter prison term than that recommended under federal sentencing guidelines was warranted.

Prosecutors, who sought a stiffer sentence, said the combined value of the bribes accepted by Nagin, which included personal parties, private jet rides and first-class airfare for a family shopping trip to New York, totaled more than $500,000.

(Reporting by Kathy Finn; Writing by Jonathan Kaminsky; Editing by Jim Loney)

Recent Headlines

in Sports

This week’s top sports shots

little

A look at the biggest stories and best photography in sports this week.

in Sports

This weekend’s sports schedule

yankees

A complete look at this weekend's sports schedule.

in National

Making headlines this week

surf

A look at the week's biggest newsmakers and the stories you won't soon forget.

in National

WATCH: The history of Labor Day

21-overlay4

While you take your three day weekend, remember those who struggled to get Friday and Saturday off.

in Sports

Tony Stewart returns to NASCAR racing after fatal accident

Tony Stewart smiles as he speaks with his crew before the start of the rain delayed NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Daytona 500 race at the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida, February 27, 2012.

Tony Stewart will return to racing this weekend at the Atlanta Motor Speedway for the first time since he struck and killed a young racer at a dirt track earlier this month.