News

Ex-NFL star Hernandez charged in prison fight

Ex-NFL star Hernandez charged in prison fight

MORE CHARGES: Aaron Hernandez faces charges in connection with an alleged prison fight. Photo: Associated Press

By Richard Valdmanis

BOSTON (Reuters) – Former National Football League star Aaron Hernandez was charged on Thursday with assaulting and threatening another inmate while in a Massachusetts prison awaiting his murder trial.

Hernandez, who played tight end for the New England Patriots, was jailed in June after being accused of gunning down another man in an industrial park near his house.

A grand jury in Bristol County indicted Hernandez on Thursday on charges of assault and battery and threats to do bodily harm stemming from an incident at the Bristol County House of Corrections in February, according to the district attorney’s office.

Hernandez is accused of repeatedly punching fellow inmate Andrew Booker after the two got into an argument in a hallway of the prison, Booker’s attorney said in March. Hernandez’s attorney was not immediately available to comment.

Hernandez had been a rising star in the NFL before police arrested him at his South Attleboro mansion in June for the shooting death of semi-professional football player Odin Lloyd. Hernandez has denied the charges.

The New England Patriots released him from the team hours after his arrest. Hernandez is also being investigated for links to a 2012 double-murder in Boston, the Boston Globe has reported citing law enforcement sources.

(Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Sports

Thursday’s Sports Minute

grizzlies

Here's a look at some of the big sports stories making headlines today, Thursday, Dec. 18.

in Sports

Ray Rice investigation heating up

Former Baltimore Ravens NFL running back Ray Rice and his wife Janay arrive for a hearing at a New York City office building November 5, 2014.

Hundreds of NFL employees gave records to investigators looking into how Commissioner Roger Goodell handled evidence in the Ray Rice case.

in Sports

49ers release McDonald amid sex assault investigation

raymcdonald

San Francisco released defensive tackle Ray McDonald after he was named a suspect in a sexual assault case.