News

Ex-NFL star Hernandez pleads not guilty in second murder case

Ex-NFL star Hernandez pleads not guilty in second murder case

CHARGED:Hernandez had been seen as a rising star in the league and had a contract with the Patriots worth about $40 million. The team dropped him hours after his arrest. Photo: Reuters

By Scott Malone

BOSTON (Reuters) – Former National Football League star Aaron Hernandez pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to charges of murdering two men he met in a Boston nightclub in 2012.

The former New England Patriot, who is already in jail awaiting trial on charges of murdering a semi-professional football player in June 2013 was charged earlier this month in the 2012 killing of Cape Verdean nationals Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado.

Hernandez appeared dressed in a suit and tie but remained handcuffed throughout an afternoon hearing at Suffolk Superior Court in Boston. Members of his family began to weep loudly upon his entry in the courtroom.

Prosecutors said that after leaving the nightclub, Hernandez followed the car that Abreu and Furtado were riding in, pulled up alongside and shot the two men dead with a handgun. There was no evidence that he had previously known his victims or that the pair was involved in any criminal activity, prosecutors said.

Investigators linked Hernandez, 24, to the double-murder after the death of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, who was found shot to death in an industrial park near Hernandez’s house in South Attleboro, Massachusetts, last June. Hernandez was previously charged in Lloyd’s murder and is being held at the Bristol County Jail awaiting trial.

Hernandez had been seen as a rising star in the league and had a contract with the Patriots worth about $40 million. The team dropped him hours after his arrest.

(Reporting by Scott Malone; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

Recent Headlines

in Sports

Soccer rocked as top FIFA officials arrested in U.S. corruption probe

fifaarrests

Seven of the most powerful figures in soccer face extradition to the U.S. after their arrest in Switzerland, where authorities also announced a criminal investigation into the awarding of the next two World Cups.

in National

Storm death toll rises as Houston remains underwater

flood

Torrential rains and flooding have turned streets into rivers, killing more than a dozen people and destroying hundreds of homes.

in National

Ford recalls nearly a half-million vehicles

ford

Ford has recalled several models, including the Mustang and Taurus, for a power steering problem.

in Sports

BEST OF: Cavs sweep Hawks to head to NBA Finals

13-overlay7

Watch Cleveland win the Eastern Conference Championship through the lens of a high-def slow-motion camera.

in Sports

NHL Preview: Ducks battle Blackhawks in Game 6

17-overlay7

Here's a look at Game 6 in the Western Conference Finals.