News

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

CONCUSSIONS:More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. Photo: Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A federal judge has granted preliminary approval to a deal that would compensate former NFL players for concussion-related claims.

Attorneys Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement that Monday’s decision represents “an extraordinary settlement” for the plaintiffs.

The NFL last month agreed to remove a $675 million cap on damages after U.S. District Judge Anita Brody questioned whether there would be enough money to pay all claims.

The settlement is designed to last at least 65 years and cover retirees who develop Lou Gehrig’s disease and other neurological problems.

More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions.

Recent Headlines

in National, World

1 American released from North Korea

fowle

The State Department says Jeffrey Fowle, one of three Americans being held in North Korea, has been released.

in National

Ebola is low on our list of concerns

ebolaprotest

A new poll shows Ebola ranks well behind the economy, jobs, and other issues among America's top problems.

in National

Staples investigating possible data breach

staples

The office supply giant is the latest U.S. retailer to become a possible victim of a cyberattack.

in National

Suspect in Va. abduction charged in DC area rape

hannahgraham

Authorities have brought additional charges against the man accused of abducting an 18-year-old Virginia college student Hannah Graham.

in Sports

Tuesday’s Sports Minute

worldseries

In addition to the Steelers’ big win and the sentencing of Olympic track star Oscar Pistorius, here is a look…