News

Judge delays trial in Colorado movie massacre

Judge delays trial in Colorado movie massacre

TRIAL DELAYED:Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for James Holmes, who has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to killing 12 people and wounding 70 others in 2012. Photo: Reuters

DENVER (Reuters) – A district court judge in Colorado on Wednesday delayed the planned trial in October of accused movie theater gunman James Holmes to allow more time to conduct a second sanity review.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Holmes, who has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to killing 12 people and wounding 70 others in 2012.

Jury selection in the trial had been due to start on Oct. 14, but a state mental hospital said it would not be able to complete a second test of Holmes’ sanity in time.

“The Court has little choice but to grant the examiner’s request,” Judge Carlos Samour said in an order. “(T)his is a complicated and voluminous case, and it is important that the second examination is adequate and complete.”

He said a new trial date would be set at a July 22 hearing.

Holmes, 26, is charged with multiple counts of first-degree murder and attempted murder for the shooting rampage, which took place during a midnight screening of the Batman movie “The Dark Knight Rises” at a suburban Denver theater.

(Reporting by Daniel Wallis; Editing by Susan Heavey)

Recent Headlines

in National

GM recalls 717K vehicles, not for ignition switches

generalmotors

General Motors Co. announced six recalls covering more than 700,000 vehicles in the United States for varying reasons.

in National

Senate panel approves Veterans Affairs nominee

mcdonald

Bob McDonald, President Obama's choice to run the VA, looks set for an easy Senate confirmation.

in Sports

Broncos’ owner Pat Bowlen battling Alzheimers, steps down

patbowlen

Bowlen, 70, is one of the NFL's most well-known owners and guided the Broncos to six Super Bowl appearances during his 30 years at the helm.

in National, World

Plane with first coffins of MH17 victims leaves Ukraine

mh17

A Dutch air force plane carrying the first 16 coffins with the remains of victims of the downed Malaysian airliner is on its way to the Netherlands.

in Sports

Wednesday’s Sports Minute

tampabay

A look at the sports news making headlines today, Wednesday, July 23.