News

Judge rules against Lance Armstrong over prize money

Judge rules against Lance Armstrong over prize money

LANCE ARMSTRONG: Dallas County Judge Tonya Parker refused to stop the original arbitration panel from considering whether Dallas-based SCA Promotions should be able to recoup the millions it paid Armstrong during his Tour de France winning streak, according to court documents filed on Wednesday. Photo: Reuters

By Lisa Maria Garza

DALLAS (Reuters) – A Texas judge has denied a request by lawyers for Lance Armstrong to block a sports insurance company from re-opening an arbitration agreement in which the firm paid $12 million in bonuses to the disgraced cyclist.

Dallas County Judge Tonya Parker refused to stop the original arbitration panel from considering whether Dallas-based SCA Promotions should be able to recoup the millions it paid Armstrong during his Tour de France winning streak, according to court documents filed on Wednesday.

SCA attorney Jeff Tillotson said on Wednesday that the panel is scheduled to meet March 17 to consider his request that Armstrong pay back the millions in prize money because he had denied under oath that his seven championships were fueled by performance-enhancing drugs.

Armstrong’s lawyers argued in court last week that the original settlement from 2006 was binding. Armstrong’s attorney Tim Herman could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

The bonus money from SCA is for three of Armstrong’s seven Tour de France victories. The American cyclist was stripped of his titles and handed a lifetime ban in 2012 after a U.S. Anti-Doping investigation.

(Reporting by Lisa Maria Garza; Editing by Ken Wills)

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Sports

Thursday’s Sports Minute

grizzlies

Here's a look at some of the big sports stories making headlines today, Thursday, Dec. 18.

in Sports

Ray Rice investigation heating up

Former Baltimore Ravens NFL running back Ray Rice and his wife Janay arrive for a hearing at a New York City office building November 5, 2014.

Hundreds of NFL employees gave records to investigators looking into how Commissioner Roger Goodell handled evidence in the Ray Rice case.

in Sports

49ers release McDonald amid sex assault investigation

raymcdonald

San Francisco released defensive tackle Ray McDonald after he was named a suspect in a sexual assault case.