News

Last victim of deadly Washington mudslide found

Last victim of deadly Washington mudslide found

MUDSLIDE:This April 16 file photo shows a flag resting at half staff on a cedar pole with the face of the massive deadly mudslide that hit the community of Oso, Wash. on March 22 behind it. A report released Tuesday, July 22 by a team of scientists says intense rainfall likely played a major role in triggering a deadly landslide in the state of Washington. Photo: Associated Press/Ted S. Warren

By Steve Gorman

(Reuters) – Search teams in Washington State have found the remains of a person thought to be the last victim of a mudslide that buried an entire community in March and killed 43 people, county authorities said.

The body believed to be that of 44-year-old Molly Kristine “Kris” Regelbrugge was located Tuesday morning on the western edge of the disaster site. Medical examiners expect to confirm identification once the remains are recovered, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.

The Seattle Times reported that the body was found in a deep pocket of debris believed to have been the garage of Regelbrugge’s home, about 100 yards from the spot where the remains of her husband, U.S. Navy Commander L. John Regelbrugge III, were recovered on March 25.

PHOTOS: Washington state mudslide

They were among 43 people who perished when a rain-soaked hillside collapsed above the north fork of the Stillaguamish River, unleashing a torrent of mud that obliterated the enclave of Steelhead Haven on the outskirts of Oso, Washington, 55 miles northeast of Seattle.

More than 50 homes were swallowed in the March 22 landslide, the deadliest in U.S. history.

A 186-page report sponsored by the National Science Foundation from a team of experts who examined the site said it was “highly probable” that three weeks of heavy showers immediately preceding the event had “played a major role in triggering the landslide.”

But the scientists said they did not reach any definitive conclusions as to whether logging in the area was a factor. The same river valley has had a long history of landslides, most of which predated timber harvesting, they said.

“Our investigation is not intended to be a final, conclusive study of the landslide, and we did not seek to unequivocally establish causative factors,” the scientists said in the report, which they characterized as a preliminary assessment.

They did, however, largely rule out the possibility that an earthquake triggered the slide, saying records indicated no significant seismic activity in the days before the disaster.

(Reporting by Steve Gorman from Los Angeles; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Sports

Thursday’s Sports Minute

grizzlies

Here's a look at some of the big sports stories making headlines today, Thursday, Dec. 18.

in Sports

Ray Rice investigation heating up

Former Baltimore Ravens NFL running back Ray Rice and his wife Janay arrive for a hearing at a New York City office building November 5, 2014.

Hundreds of NFL employees gave records to investigators looking into how Commissioner Roger Goodell handled evidence in the Ray Rice case.

in Sports

49ers release McDonald amid sex assault investigation

raymcdonald

San Francisco released defensive tackle Ray McDonald after he was named a suspect in a sexual assault case.