News

Nadal out of U.S. Open with wrist injury

Nadal out of U.S. Open with wrist injury

RAFAEL NADAL: The 28-year-old Spaniard sustained the injury in practice last month and has been training with a cast on his right wrist, forcing him to miss the Rogers Cup in Toronto and last week's Cincinnati Open. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – Rafael Nadal has pulled out of his U.S. Open title defense this month because of a wrist problem, the world number two said on Monday.

The 28-year-old Spaniard sustained the injury in practice last month and has been training with a cast on his right wrist, forcing him to miss the Rogers Cup in Toronto and last week’s Cincinnati Open.

“I am very sorry to announce I won’t be able to play at this year’s U.S. Open,” Nadal said on his Twitter feed and on Facebook.

“I am sure you understand that it is a very tough moment for me since it is a tournament I love and where I have great memories from fans, the night matches, so many things.

“Not much more I can do right now other than accept the situation and, as always in my case, work hard in order to be able to compete at the highest level once I am back.”

The 14-times grand slam winner also triumphed at Flushing Meadows in 2010.

Despite missing the entire North American hardcourt campaign, Nadal had hoped to compete in New York, previously posting a picture of himself working on court with his uncle and coach Toni with a black wrist support clearly visible.

The left-hander won his ninth French Open title in June but has not played since losing in the fourth round to Australian Nick Kyrgios at Wimbledon on July 2.

It is another worrying setback for Nadal who has had to battle back from injuries several times in his brilliant career.

After being sidelined for seven months with a knee injury, he returned last season to win 10 titles including grand slams in Paris and New York.

Injury also caused Nadal to miss out on a Wimbledon title defense in 2009 and the defense of his Olympic crown in 2012.

The winner of 64 career singles titles, he has claimed four trophies this year and has set no time frame for a return to competition.

The U.S. Open starts on Aug. 25.

(Reporting by Josh Reich, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Recent Headlines

in Sports

Kentucky rolls Mountaineers in the Midwest Regional

Fresh
Kentucky's Marcus Lee, right, blocks a shot by West Virginia's Jonathan Holton during the first half of a college basketball game in the NCAA men's tournament regional semifinals, Thursday, March 26, 2015, in Cleveland.

Top-seed Kentucky advances after defeating West Virginia 78-39 rout of West Virginia in the Midwest Regional.

in National

New York buildings collapse in possible gas blast

Fresh
Firefighters battle a fire at the site of a residential apartment building collapse and fire in New York City's East Village neighborhood, March 26, 2015.

Four apartment buildings in New York City caught fire from an apparent gas explosion, causing 19 injuries.

in National

Oil price falls as Middle East supply fears ease

Fresh
A general view shows oil tanks at the Bashneft-Ufimsky refinery plant (Bashneft - UNPZ) outside Ufa, Bashkortostan, January 29, 2015.

Oil prices fell more than $1 a barrel on Friday as worries receded over the Saudi Arabia-led air strikes in Yemen.

in National

Germanwings co-pilot had serious depressive episode

Fresh
Andreas Lubitz runs the Airportrace half marathon in Hamburg in this September 13, 2009 file photo.

The German pilot believed to have deliberately crashed a plane in the French Alps suffered from depression, a German newspaper reported.

in Sports

Aaron Hernandez trail delayed by bomb threat

Former New England Patriots football player Aaron Hernandez listens during a motion regarding jail phone recordings during his murder trial at the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Mass., on Wednesday, March 25, 2015. Hernandez is accused in the June 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd.

A bomb threat has delayed proceedings of the Aaron Hernandez murder trial.