News

NBC plans ‘TV everywhere’ for Olympics

NBC plans ‘TV everywhere’ for Olympics

2014 OLYMPICS: The Winter Games start Feb. 7. Photo: Associated Press/Gero Breloer

NEW YORK (AP) — NBC is using the Olympics to push interest in technology allowing cable or satellite TV subscribers to see live Winter Olympics competition on mobile phones or tablets.

The network said Monday it will give subscribers a 30-minute “free pass” to Olympics video before they are asked to verify that they are paying customers.

SPECIAL SECTION: 2014 Olympics

On subsequent days, customer will get five minutes free before they have to check in.

NBC’s hope is that the big event will increase interest in its “TV Everywhere” initiative, which has been slow to get started.

Nearly 10 million mobile devices were authenticated for Olympics video during the London games in 2012.

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Sports

Thursday’s Sports Minute

grizzlies

Here's a look at some of the big sports stories making headlines today, Thursday, Dec. 18.

in Sports

Ray Rice investigation heating up

Former Baltimore Ravens NFL running back Ray Rice and his wife Janay arrive for a hearing at a New York City office building November 5, 2014.

Hundreds of NFL employees gave records to investigators looking into how Commissioner Roger Goodell handled evidence in the Ray Rice case.

in Sports

49ers release McDonald amid sex assault investigation

raymcdonald

San Francisco released defensive tackle Ray McDonald after he was named a suspect in a sexual assault case.