News

NFL considers tougher standards on domestic violence

NFL considers tougher standards on domestic violence

RAY RICE: The new policy, if implemented, could establish guidelines for a suspension of four to six games without pay for a first offense and potentially a season-long suspension for a second incident, multiple sources told the newspaper. Photo: Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The National Football League is considering toughening the penalties for domestic violence in the wake of the uproar created by the two-game ban handed to Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice, the Washington Post reported Thursday.

The new policy, if implemented, could establish guidelines for a suspension of four to six games without pay for a first offense and potentially a season-long suspension for a second incident, multiple sources told the newspaper.

Rice allegedly knocked his then-fiancee, Janay Palmer, unconscious in February, and the NFL was widely criticized for what was seen as a light sanction handed down to the three-time Pro Bowl running back.

“We need to have stricter penalties,” a person with knowledge of the league’s deliberations told the Post. “I think you will see that. I believe the commissioner and others would like to see stricter penalties. We need to be more vigilant.”

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to comment on the specifics of the Post story in an e-mail to Reuters, but added, “We are always looking to evolve and improve our policies and programs on all issues.”

Rice, who is now married to Palmer, pleaded not guilty to a third-degree charge of aggravated assault and avoided trial by being accepted into an intervention program in May.

(Reporting by Steve Ginsburg; Editing by Andrew Hay)

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Sports

Thursday’s Sports Minute

grizzlies

Here's a look at some of the big sports stories making headlines today, Thursday, Dec. 18.

in Sports

Ray Rice investigation heating up

Former Baltimore Ravens NFL running back Ray Rice and his wife Janay arrive for a hearing at a New York City office building November 5, 2014.

Hundreds of NFL employees gave records to investigators looking into how Commissioner Roger Goodell handled evidence in the Ray Rice case.

in Sports

49ers release McDonald amid sex assault investigation

raymcdonald

San Francisco released defensive tackle Ray McDonald after he was named a suspect in a sexual assault case.