News

NY man arrested in attack of woman behind Clippers scandal

NY man arrested in attack of woman behind Clippers scandal

V. STIVIANO:In this file photo taken on Friday, Oct. 25. Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, right, and V. Stiviano, left, watch the Clippers play the Sacramento Kings during the first half of an NBA basketball game in Los Angeles. Photo: Associated Press

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A Long Island, New York, man was arrested on Tuesday in connection with the weekend assault of V. Stiviano, the woman who recorded Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling making racist remarks that got him banned from the NBA.

Police said Dominick Diorio, 40, was arrested at his home in Old Bethpage, New York, and charged with assault as a hate crime, aggravated harassment and other charges for punching Stiviano in the face outside the Gansevoort Hotel in New York on Sunday.

The attack left Stivano’s face swollen and red, her attorney Mac Nehoray, told CNN.

New York Police Department Detective Brian Sessa said the investigation is still ongoing.

Stiviano is the woman who embattled Clippers owner Donald Sterling can be heard berating for associating with black people and urging her not to bring minorities with her to Clippers games on an audio tape posted online by TMZ.com.

Following the release of the tape, Sterling, 80, was banned for life by the National Basketball Association and fined $2.5 million. Last week the NBA, where most of the players are black, said it had reached an agreement to sell the Clippers, though Sterling has mounted a legal challenge, suing the league for at least $1 billion.

(Reporting by Curtis Skinner; Editing by Sandra Maler)

Recent Headlines

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Sports

Thursday’s Sports Minute

grizzlies

Here's a look at some of the big sports stories making headlines today, Thursday, Dec. 18.

in Sports

Ray Rice investigation heating up

Former Baltimore Ravens NFL running back Ray Rice and his wife Janay arrive for a hearing at a New York City office building November 5, 2014.

Hundreds of NFL employees gave records to investigators looking into how Commissioner Roger Goodell handled evidence in the Ray Rice case.

in Sports

49ers release McDonald amid sex assault investigation

raymcdonald

San Francisco released defensive tackle Ray McDonald after he was named a suspect in a sexual assault case.

in Sports

Judge rebuffs NCAA concussion settlement

Football

A judge has halted a $75-million settlement that aimed to end a massive class-action lawsuit.