News

Seahawks’ Super Bowl victory parade expected to draw huge crowd

Seahawks’ Super Bowl victory parade expected to draw huge crowd

'LEGION OF BOOM:' Seahawks fans are celebrating their first Super Bowl win. Photo: Associated Press

By Jonathan Kaminsky

(Reuters) – Up to 500,000 Seattle Seahawks fans were expected to brave sub-freezing temperatures to celebrate the football team’s first Super Bowl title at a parade set to wind through the city’s downtown on Wednesday.

The Seahawks trounced the usually high-scoring Denver Broncos 43-8 on Sunday to win their first NFL championship in franchise history.

It was a particularly sweet triumph for a city whose previous major professional men’s sports team championship came a generation ago, when the SuperSonics captured the National Basketball Association’s crown in 1979. That team left for Oklahoma City in 2008.

PHOTOS: Super Bowl XLVIII | COMPLETE COVERAGE: Seattle Seahawks crush Denver Broncos in team’s first Super Bowl win

Due to kick off at 11 a.m. local time, the planned 90-minute parade will see the Seahawks riding in amphibious World War II-era Duck vehicles normally used by tourists.

The route ends at CenturyLink Field – its home field – where the team has lost only once in the past two years, and where season-ticket holders will be treated to a victory celebration.

Many school-aged children are expected be in attendance at the parade, with Seattle Public Schools Superintendent Jose Banda on Tuesday saying that principals would have discretion over whether to excuse absent students.

It was a reversal from his position a day earlier, when he said that students would not be excused in spite of a suggestion from Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll that they get the day off.

Carroll received a phone call on Tuesday from President Barack Obama, who commended the coach on the team’s “decisive victory” and said he looked forward to greeting them at the White House in the coming months, according to a White House statement.

Also on Tuesday, Washington state Gov. Jay Inslee proclaimed a statewide “moment of LOUDNESS” to take place during the parade. In a nod to the team’s fans, collectively known as the “12th Man” for their opponent-rattling rumbling during home games, Inslee ordered the organized screaming to occur at 12:12 p.m. on Wednesday.

“Our team is bigger, faster and stronger and the 12th Man is without question louder than anyone else in the nation,” Inslee said in a written statement accompanying the proclamation.

(Reporting by Jonathan Kaminsky in Olympia, Wash.; Editing by Eric M. Johnson in Seattle and Sofina Mirza-Reid)

Recent Headlines

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Sports

Thursday’s Sports Minute

grizzlies

Here's a look at some of the big sports stories making headlines today, Thursday, Dec. 18.

in Sports

Ray Rice investigation heating up

Former Baltimore Ravens NFL running back Ray Rice and his wife Janay arrive for a hearing at a New York City office building November 5, 2014.

Hundreds of NFL employees gave records to investigators looking into how Commissioner Roger Goodell handled evidence in the Ray Rice case.

in Sports

49ers release McDonald amid sex assault investigation

raymcdonald

San Francisco released defensive tackle Ray McDonald after he was named a suspect in a sexual assault case.